Friday, January 2, 2009

Comcast: Thank You, Raul!

So, as the start of the new job approaches, and my anxiety about smaller paychecks grows, I decided to call Comcast again. After my less-than-pleasing experience back in July, I was a little hesitant to do it, but I realized that just cannot continue to pay $115 a month for cable+internet. I decided that if they wouldn't give me a deal, I'd try switching to basic cable (aka no TLC, HGTV, Comedy Central, E!, etc.) and slower internet and see if it's really a big deal. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: I can't afford the payment - I've been paying $115 a month for several months now, and just can't afford it anymore.
Comcast Angel Raul (in the cancellations department): So you want to cancel?
Me: Well, I don't want to, but unless you have some sort of magical deal going on that I don't know about, I'm going to have to. Do you have any promotions or discounts you can offer?
Comcast Angel Raul: Well, right now the only discount we have for current subscribers is the Triple Play, where you get phone, internet and cable for $90 a month.
Me: Yeah, I know about that one, but I don't need phone service, and $90 is almost what I'm paying now that I can't afford...
Comcast Angel Raul: Ok, let me see if I can override it. Can you hold for a sec?
Me: Sure! (crossing my fingers)
Comcast Angel Raul: Ok. I can lower your monthly payment to $68 a month for 12 months with no contract.
Me: Wow! Really? How can you do that!!!???
Comcast Angel Raul: Well, I can't call it a promotion because we're not promoting it, but I can just apply the discount and lower the payment. Is that ok?
Me: Yeah! Wow! Thank you so much!!
Comcast Angel Raul: No problem. Thank you - I know how easy it is for you to leave for another company, and I'm glad we can keep your service.

So there you have it. Hooray! I think the trick is that you have to pay full price for a few months, and then they'll give you the discount again to keep you. Woo! Success! And I won't have to pay for February or part of March because I have already paid full price for January!

Granted, it would be even cheaper to do the basic cable and the slower internet, but $68 a month is cheaper than what I was originally paying when I signed up, and now I don't have to sacrifice or change anything (spoiled spoiled kim!). If it turns out to be too pricey still, I can go down to the basic/slow situation...but for now, I will sit here spoiled watching "Property Virgins" and "17 Kids and Counting".

Happy New Year, all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word, that's amazing. Just like that! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete