Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The power of the internet

My mind has been blown by the internet lately. Particularly its power to connect and support people - Strangers become acquaintances become connections become friends. I was recently connected to a theatre student in Missouri who found me on Twitter by searching for "berkeley" and "theatre." She started following me, and after looking at her profile and noticing that we have similar interests, I asked how she found me (I like to find out strangers who follow me found me) - she emailed me, and as it turns out, she is applying for the very same internships I applied for right out of school. Small world, eh? (Hi, Shelley!)

On a more serious note...recently on Twitter, I learned about the Spohr family, who recently lost their baby girl. Madeline was not even two years old, and from all the support shown online, she was quite a kid. You can read more about Maddie and the Spohr family at http://remembermaddie.com/ - or by following @mamaspohr and @newbornidentity on Twitter.

The outpouring of support from people who don't know the Spohrs personally is truly inspiring. Search #maddie on Twitter or visit Purple for Maddie Spohr and you'll see what I mean. There are no words to describe how they must be feeling, but at least they have the warm arms of the internet community that has formed around this tragedy to hold them up.

If you feel so inclined, please send some love their way as today is the funeral, and I'm sure they can use all the support they can get.

1 comment:

  1. Today is the first I've heard of their story and I was so touched.

    I'm really happy that I decided to wear purple today....

    ReplyDelete