Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Excuses For My Lack of Gardening

I have so many reasons (erm excuses) for not starting a living, growing, delicious garden out in my backyard. Here they are:
  1. There is not much available space in my yard
  2. I have to go downstairs to get to the yard
  3. It's too late to start for this summer
Ok, so I only have three excuses. And all three of them can be countered by "Kim, Stop Being So Lazy And Just Do It Already!" Well, except for #3. I don't actually know if it's too late. It's probably not. And as for #1, I really haven't found a good spot in the yard for starting my own little garden. The best I've done is a withering tomato plant in my windowbox. I don't even want to show you a picture because it is so sad lately. In this post, the little plants were growing. They basically look like that still, but they're taller and browner. Height = good, color = bad. Let's not even discuss #2. L.A.Z.Y.

I want to have a garden like this someday. I am so insanely jealous I don't know what to do with myself. My friend Trisha is somehow able to grow more edible goodness in her NYC apartment than I am in Berkeley. I have four houseplants that are doing fine, but when it comes to keeping my basil and tomato plants alive, I am severely lacking in green thumbery.

Someday, I want to have a big, flat yard where I can (without having to lug things up and down the stairs) have a raised-bed garden. And grow corn and squash and pumpkins and tomatoes and all that goodness. Someday.

Lots of Someday. Gives me something to look forward to, right?

2 comments:

  1. Awww. The only reason my herbs and tomato are doing so well is because they get water every day and the window they sit in gets full sun for nearly the entire day. How much sun are yours getting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They get crazy amounts of sun - I think maybe too much. It's blaring direct sunlight all. day. long. I've been thinking they need a little umbrella or something. to shield them.

    ReplyDelete