Saturday, July 25, 2009

Summer Squash and More!

I'm no Crazy Aunt Purl, but I sure as heck can buy summer squash at the Farmers Market! Ok, so that's not even close to impressive. But look how pretty it is!

I also bought the most adorable baby eggplants you've ever seen (perfect for making baked eggplant for one!), and a large bag of vine-ripened tomatoes for only $1! I'll be making some homemade tomato sauce this week for sure!

I bought some beautiful white corn, picked this morning only about 40 miles from where I live! And I purchased it directly from the family who farms it! Now if that's not supporting your local farmers, I don't know what is! Yay! I just finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and I've been thinking a lot about supporting my local food economy. In California, this is fairly easy, especially in the Bay Area, where there are Farmers Markets nearly every day of the week, and much of the time, the farmers are the ones actually selling the goods. The cheese I buy is made less than an hour away.

Today's Purchases:
  • Garlic Herb Quark (omg I am a Quark convert. It is amazing.) - $5
  • Giant bag of vine-ripened tomatoes - $1
  • 1 bag baby spinach, 5 carrots, a bunch of fresh rosemary, 4 medium zucchinis, and two lemon-cucumbers - $6.75
  • 3 peaches and 1 nectarine - $0.90
  • 4 baby eggplants - $1.50
  • 1 medium-sized piece Indian Honey smoked salmon - $17.20 (SPLURGE!!! but it will last over a week)
  • 6 assorted summer squash (one in the picture is from last week) - $1.50
  • 4 ears of corn (I still can't get over the fact that it was picked this morning 40 miles from my apartment) - $3.00
  • 3 honey sticks (I think they were wildberry honey?) - $1
Grand total: $37.65 - Not too shabby for all this delicious, fresh food! Mmmmmm I am going to eat well this week! Good food makes me happy, especially when I got to spend the morning wandering around in the sunshine talking to the people who also love (and create!) the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment