Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pizza!

Last night, we made pizza from scratch.  We used this pizza dough recipe from The Joy of Cooking, which is the recipe Will frequently made growing up.  (side note: I love that he used to come home from school, chop wood for the stove, and make pizza dough from scratch.  It's like he lived in olden times or something.  Wow, I sound dumb.)

Anyway, we didn't eat until 10pm (we started at around 8pm), but it was really fun.  The yeast didn't do that crazy foamy thing it usually does (I attributed it to the fact that it was in a big bowl instead of a smaller cup, but who knows?). The dough didn't quite double in size. We didn't know exactly what we were doing when it came to kneading (I am a terrible kneader...even though Reed taught me when we made this bread a while back, I never really feel confident that I'm doing it right or achieving the proper result).  We just kept adding flour until it wasn't super sticky anymore, and when we figured it was probably done, we called it done.  And you know what?  It tasted awesome.

I can't remember the last time I made pizza dough from scratch (I usually just buy a bag of dough from Trader Joe's and pretend that since it wasn't cooked it's "homemade), but I will definitely do this from now on.  It was just so good!  Light and airy, with a really delicious taste...oh it was good.  Next time, perhaps we will make the dough the day before, but whatever.  We had a good time and ate delicious pizza.  Oh, did I mention that we used the leftover pasta sauce from the other night (the one here and here) as our sauce?  We did, and oh boy it was yummy.  We also used spicy Italian sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, this ridiculous Reggiano and Cougar Gold. Oh, and some of the onions that were leftover from the pasta sauce.  It was just plain good.

The recipe makes two pizzas, but we put one of the balls of dough (post-rising, post-kneading, pre-rolling) in saran wrap and a ziplock freezer bag and are freezing it for later.  I hope it stays good. I may freeze that pasta sauce too, just to have on hand for when we make the pizza.  Which will probably be next week.  Or sooner. Maybe we'll bring it to Tahoe this weekend (oh yeah, we're trying to go to Tahoe this weekend).

It's only Tuesday, and somehow I am in a good mood.  Must be all this rain! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious - I'm going to try this out asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend it! It was worth having to clean dough out of my kitchen counter tile grout with a toothpick! (was too lazy to clear off the kitchen-island-that-lives-in-the-living-room)

    ReplyDelete